View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
ThePrudentNinja
EcoModding Lurker

Red Bean - '01 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 34.44 mpg (US)
Question Hydrogen powered steam car?

So a thread on this forum reminded me of an article I read awhile back about a Japanese company that created a car that used hydrogen and water to propel the car. I can't seem to find that article again so I will loosely describe how the car supposedly worked (there was a video showing the car and there was steam coming out the tailpipe as well).

Basically it seemed like the engine was a hydrogen fueled internal combustion engine that leveraged the power of steam to reduce the use of the hydrogen. They would use the hydrogen to create enough heat then inject water that would then flash to steam and help propel the cylinder.

This of course reminded me of another thing I've heard talked about from time to time, injecting water into a gasoline power engine to help increase fuel economy (I'm guessing using the steam produced to help propel the cylinder).

So my question is, is it even possible for a gasoline fueled internal combustion engine to be used to produce steam in any way that would actually be efficient?

I presume most modern gasoline powered engines wouldn't last too long injecting water into them even with modifications (rust and corrosion). Has anyone experimented with anything similar to this?