View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
KingZiptie
EcoModding Lurker

Severus - '02 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab
90 day: 31.35 mpg (US)
Personal Best; 30+mpg in a non-aero'd Ranger

We all choose what level of insanity were willing to go to for mpgs. I enjoy reading about the crazy stuff you guys do to get your insane numbers (I really do- its fascinating what you dudes come up with). By standards set in this forum, im a failure with relatively mild expectations. Still, considering my ride and my drive style, im shocked at the mpgs I pulled this trip.

Went from Austin TX to Mandeville LA pretty much I-10E all the way. I stayed between 55-65mph (mostly 60). I didnt use pulse and glide nor did I kill my engine and coast. I also used A/C about 15% of the time, had my stereo cranked (add 400 watts of parasitic draw at the alternator), and was carrying about 200 pounds of crap (plus about 100 pounds of sub and sound deadening in the door).

I did however make aggressive use of 18-wheelers. I tried whenever possible to get behind one of those big air-pushers and it was pretty incredible to watch the ultragauge respond. I didnt draft (way too close for me), but I did get close enough to see a significant reduction in throttle needed to maintain a speed. I turned it into a game in my head (seen some of you guys mention this) and constantly looked for my next mpg patron

Tank total (gps verified miles, gallons at pump): 497 miles on 15.855 us gallons = 31.35 mpg

Keep in mind my tank is 19.5 gallons- I could have easily done 600 miles on one tank of gas! Simply killing my stereo, losing the 200lbs of stuff, forcing myself to no more than 55mph, and bringing cold rags instead of using the a/c would easily have netted 32mpg. Add a partial grill block, mechanical fan delete, and leaning out the a/f ratio via a chip, I could prolly hit 33mpg.

Not bad for a truck! First tank to net over 30mpg. Truck:
2002 Ford Ranger Supercab, 2.3l inline 4, 5 speed manual, 4.10 gearing, ultraguage

*Disclaimer* I prolly wont do many more if any fuel economy mods to this truck. Since I cant race this slug I might as well have fun going slow