View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
KingZiptie
EcoModding Lurker

Severus - '02 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab
90 day: 31.35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog F150 View Post
Good work, ziptie!

I noticed the same result in my F150 while tailing an 18 wheeler. Ultra gauge showed a 4 to 5 mpg increase as soon as I got in behind him. I kept my distance for safety though.
Yeah, I imagine a fullsize sees even more of a benefit. I think the benefit was lowered since I really dont like following close- I kept enough distance to stop completely even if a panic stop was initiated ahead of the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDiesel View Post
That is really good mpg coming from a truck and on top of that, using the A/C and having more alternator draw than usual. Congrats!

If I may dissuade you from not modding... aero mods would do wonders on your truck. It has a higher coefficient of drag (Cd) than most cars and would see improvements better than an already "slick" car. I personally noticed a difference in acceleration and coasting starting at 25 mph and above. I have lowered my aero drag enough that I can avoid drafting semis and go my own pace.

Also, if you had coasted down hills in N (Engine On), you might have added more than 1 or 2 mpgs to your highest average. Just some food for thought
I have considered just 3 possibly 4 mods: partial grill block, mechanical fan delete, mudflap removal, and an a/c compressor kill switch.

The grill block would be the best, but I live in Austin TX (tons of traffic) and right now its summer. It gets HOT there, and a grill block would limit engine cooling air and limit airflow over the A/C condensor. I might try this when temps come down a bit- I really dont want to get close to overheating that aluminum motor. I cant do an aero shell on the back btw- I use the bed to haul motorcycles a lot.

The mech fan delete is tricky. If I do it, I either need to replace it with an electric fan and go about thermally wiring it, or I need to get a tuner and configure the A/C electric fan to function as an engine fan as necessary. This has the bonus of adding horsepower which 4 banger pickups need badly.

The mudflaps.. well I hate how they look and you guys say they add drag. They do help prevent rocks from cracking others windshields though. Not sure on this one.

I have also considered a pushbutton on the stick shift to disable the A/C compressor- this is as much for acceleration as it is for mpgs. That way I could have the a/c on and disable the compressor when accelerating without having to reach over and switch the heater control to off.

Noted on N down hills- I do that all the time in town. The trip from Austin was pretty flat overall so hard to accomplish coasting in this way.

Ill update this thread after the trip back.