View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
GotToyota
EcoModding Lurker

Converting to LED for max efficiency

Not new to driving to cars or modifying but after recently picking up a Civic VX and reading on here, it has gotten me to change my mindset about what I'm aiming for with this car and how I should drive, in addition to thinking of small ways to add as much efficiency as possibly.

So with that in mind, I was contemplating ways to improve efficiency and LEDs came to mind. I know that replacing traditional accessory bulbs with LEDs may not appear to make a big difference, I imagine the power being drawn when all of the bulbs are considered would make a big difference. Imagine if you will, a typical replacement for a traditional bulb with LED is typically 1/3 the drawing power.

So if you replaced ALL your bulbs with LEDs, it may help a lot in the long run. They also make LED bulb kits now, and I noticed that with my Civic in particular, it uses a traditional H4 bulb that is rated at 55W. An LED conversion kit uses a combined 17 watts compared to 110 watts for a pair of halogen bulbs with greater or equal light output.

Has anyone tested to see if converting to a full LED setup would give some fuel savings? I'd be interested in seeing what other peoples experiences were with this.

-Matt