View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
KingZiptie
EcoModding Lurker

Severus - '02 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab
90 day: 31.35 mpg (US)
What kind of mpgs do you get in really bad traffic?

Im curious how bad some of you dudes gas mileage is when its stoplight to stoplight. My ranger gets pretty awesome hwy mileage- about 30 us mpg at 65. I could easily pull more at slower speeds (at 45 my ultraguage reports 40mpg often). This to me suggests that the engine/electronics/sensors are all working as they should.

But man, put the A/C on and crawl in stop and go traffic- the ultragauge will show average mpgs of 13 and 14! I dont have a lift or real tall tires. I thought about asking in the Ranger forums but most of them could care less about mpgs.

EPA for this truck is 21 city. Usually my average mpg is about 23 not using any eco techniques. But if things get real clogged up, the mpgs drop. Is this right? Besides EOC, neutral coasting (which I do alot coming up to lights to try and time green, or use DFCO), etc, is there something up with my vehicle I should be checking out? Maybe its just because its a truck?

By clogged I mean catching every stoplight red, block after block after block. I want to make sure I get the truck running as it should be before focusing on technique.

New coil, wires, plugs, fuel pump, upstream o2, cleaned maf, cleaned throttle body, cleaned map, excellent compression, 87000 miles.