View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

It isn't that simple, and we all know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
This--don't over think it.
Sometimes, the time lost equates into money lost. Also, length of trip factors into the ecomodding decision.

My wife once worked in marketing as one of those cute convention babes for a large telcom. She was given a stipend to pay for an "appropriate" car and reimbursed by the mile. She blasted all over the American South West. Her Mercedes stayed at home as she burned through 2 used Geo Metros and a Daihatsu Charade. Even at 70-75 mph, the little 3 cylinder cars pulled down double the fuel mileage of the big Mercedes. The fuel savings paid for both cars and left several hundred dollars a month left over for her to spend on "wardrobe". Slowing to 60 mph where the little cars could get another 10 mpg wasn't going to help her bottom line since her mileage reimbursements were set high enough. The extra 45 minutes saved after a blast from San Diego to Phoenix gave her that extra time to jump in the pool before doing her stint at some convention.

When I am pulling a 20,000 lb flatbed out to Texas, I keep the speed at 58 mph even if it is legal to tow at 70 mph in many western states. The difference between 58 and 70 mph is 2 mpg in the Cummins Diesel. The extra 120 miles between fill ups and the reduced cost of fuel is well worth it. But, I am allowing myself several days leeway when I broker the machinery delivery. I can afford to lollygag.

You have to look at your particular situation and see if ecomodding is worth the effort. For many of us, it is a past time. For others, it is time - time that can't be wasted.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
AbramWagner (07-24-2015), seifrob (07-16-2015), wdb (07-23-2015)