View Single Post
Old 07-16-2015, 07:23 AM   #76 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Asanelli,

To my knowledge there are no Double Cab Prerunner V6 6 Speeds in existence, you have to get a 4x4 to get the 6 speed manual in a Double Cab. The only way to get a 6 Speed Manual in a 4x2 Tacoma is the X-Runner, which is an Access Cab not Double Cab, and for an an Access Cab the I4 5 Speed manual is the best choice.

I have posted quite a bit about this subject in other threads, but I will summarize my thoughts here. I am assuming the Double Cab (Crew Cab) is a requirement for you, and that you have discovered Toyota doesn’t have any I4 5 Speed manuals in the Double Cab, hence why you are looking into the V6 which has the only manual (6 Speed 4x4).

The gearing is the issue with the 6 Speed. If you plan on using cruise control or driving while leaving the truck in gear, no I don’t think you could hit 25 MPG unless you change the gearing. If you used pulse and glide driving all the time then maybe you could hit 25 (since that reduced the effect of final drive gearing since you are mainly in neutral) however realize these trucks don’t “glide” very well stock, so get ready for a workout. I use terrain assisted pulse and glide (glide down hills or declines) but most of the time I stay in gear to keep from doing pulse and pulse driving.

As I have stated before, there are no better differential gears for a 4x4 Tacoma, so the only way to improve the gearing is a transmission swap, of which a T56 kit is available and would work if you have the $$$. Honestly, before I would do that I would buy a Double Cab I4 with the 4 speed auto and convert it to a 5 Speed Manual, but I don’t even know if that is feasible without completely redoing the electronics.

So in a nutshell, without doing lots of work either swapping things or shifting in and out of neutral while you are driving, Toyota doesn’t have a good Double Cab Tacoma configuration available. That is the only reason I have an Access Cab.

[/Change Tone]

But really though, your mileage may vary though. Don’t listen to what people say on the internet (including me), do your own research, draw your own conclusions. Think outside the box and try things. Your experiences will be different than mine and will shape your life differently. I have done many things that 98% of the internet says is impossible, impractical, or stupid.

If you want a 6 Speed manual Double Cab Tacoma (which from your posts on the subject I think you do) then go get one and show us how it is done. I don’t like my access cab, it is uncomfortable on a third passenger and I prefer my guests to be comfortable, because that is the polite thing to do. It irks me that people don’t want to ride in my truck, but I don’t blame them. Most of the time I use another vehicle when I know I have to make a longer trip with more than two people, that is a compromise I made due to the high miles I drive solo or with 1 passenger and limited miles driven with 3 or more occupants.