View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVmetro
EcoModding Apprentice

I spend every bit of what it costs to buy a nice new Nissan Leaf when I convert an old worn out Metro, and people often ask me why I would spend all this money to convert an old pile of junk when I could just go and buy a brand new EV. There are many reasons why I do. The value of my component assets after a decade is high on my list, but there are many more reasons why conversions make more sense than buying new. When you convert, you can design the car the way you like it, instead of accepting what they want to sell you. I enjoy faster charging, more places to charge, faster top speed, better efficiency, and a car that is easy to work on or update. The annual renewal on my tags for a 20 year old car is dirt cheap. Here in CA, my registration for the 20+ year old Metro costs $400 less than one for a new Leaf, and I can buy 2666 kW of electricity with that. 2666 kW of electricity per year of electricity gets me 14,000 miles per year. This means that by going with a conversion instead of buying new, just the difference between registering a new EV or my conversion pays for my fuel bill.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVmetro For This Useful Post:
AbramWagner (07-30-2015), Xist (07-21-2015)