View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #428 (permalink)
OG VX
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Update: 7/20/2015- Bedliner Coating to Hatch Area + Headliner Re-Wrap

Hello all, I had a productive weekend on the project. I need to get the interior components back in. However, before I did so, the headliner needed to be re-wrapped. As previously mentioned, the Loctite Professional (irony on both fronts) failed, and the summer heat melted it like butter. So, I did some research and used a DAP Weldwood spray-able Contact Cement. Costs circa $12 per can, and is available at Home Depot. I used 1.25 cans to do the headliner. So far, this product appears to have done the trick. Apparently, this is the stuff all the pro shops recommend. It used to only be available as a liquid in can that would need to be thinned and then sprayed through a painters gun. Thankfully, capitalism won, and it's now available to DIY mortals like me in a convenient spray can format. Pics below tell the story.

Also, before the interior panels went back in, I handled a couple of other important items in the hatch area.

(1) Removed the rear seat bracket. Cut and grinded it down. I kept the base and spot welds present, so I didn't make any holes in the floor board.

(2) I laid down some Duplicolor Bedliner from Autozone. One small quart did the trick ($21) with a bit leftover to spare. Took two coats to get good coverage. Basically, brushed on the sides and tight areas, then rolled the rest with a small roller. Laid some painters tape down at the front to create a clean line there. The cars finished interior will go smoothly from carpet in the front to bedliner in the back, and there should be a nice black throughout the interior now (no red).

In addition to aesthetics, another important role for the bedliner is to dampen some of the road noise. I laid some down on my CRX project years ago and it does dampen considerably. Stating the obvious, this will now be a one-seater vehicle, and the car will remain partially stripped in the rear. All interior plastics will be present on re-assembly, but no rear seats/carpet/floorboard.

Before:

After:

Laying down the Bedliner:

First Coat Down:

All done:

Until next time, thank YOU for ecoTuning in!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
vrmouseyd15b (07-20-2015)