View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #89 (permalink)
kv1
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up back on track

Hello everyone!

Thanks so much for all the help and information everyone has posted in this thread. It amounts to a wealth of information.

Irving (the mechanic) and I are picking up speed again. I ran out of money a while back for the project but I started working again and hopefully will be able to pay it through this time.

So far:

Engine has been mounted (the trickiest part). This was accomplished by cutting the bumper. If we were to do this again next time, I would recommend attaching the engine mounts and brackets (fully assembled) to the engine and maneuvering the engine. We attached the brackets to the engine and the mounts to the frame and then had to wiggle the engine to put the through bolts in. This took forever, but nevertheless worked using a impact socket driver (one of those red snap-on ones) and spinning the through-bolt while wiggling the engine back and forth.

The flex-plate is on!

I ordered the starter which should come soon.

As for next steps, we are going to attach the transmission and the starter

Starter should be coming tomorrow and I ordered this one including the bracket as per this thread's recommendations:

The goal is to have this van running and driving by the 30th (9 days from this post).

I need a lot of help and advice and guidance still...

From what I understand the missing parts as of now are:
-alternator (will buy a used one locally)
-large radiator
-water pump (we have this as it came with the engine)
-power steering pump (diesel does not produce vaccum) - need to swap the vacuum assist pod and master cylinder out for hydroboost system
-diesel pump
-diesel fuel tank and return line
-wiring harness
-second battery
-glow plugs

Which one of these should be the top priority? In what order would you tackle these obstacles to start trouble shooting the engine as fast as possible? I am thinking the starter, alternator, wiring the battery and harness.

We removed the intake manifold from the engine. Does this mean it would need to be bled? How do we do that?

Any help hugely appreciated.