View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Longsnowsm
EcoModding Lurker

Peaty - '03 Honda Insight

Jimmy - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd, Extended Cab, SL
Tires profiles and sizes - the pros and cons

Well I know this is an often beat dead horse here in these forums and after searching and reading I have drawn some conclusions, and yet there still(for me) are some unanswered things about the compromises that are made with tires.

When looking at tires the questions that remain for me personally are related to the trade offs of wider/taller tires(aero drag and rolling resistance) vs smaller, narrower tire for lighter weight, less rolling resistance, and aero drag. Also the factor of vehicle height as it also increases the aero drag. Has anyone come up with a magic formula for determining the rolling resistance, aero drag of the wider tires and the increase or decrease in the vehicle aero drag by raising or lowering the vehicle.

At this point I am probably going to stick with a stock size tire, but there were at least 4 sizes offered on the vehicle I am buying tires for. The default size appears to be the best compromise but is not the smallest that was offered, and far from the largest. However at some point you can clearly go too large and there is a trade off. Anyone know at one point is the break even point on tire size and profile? Thanks.

Longsnowms

Last edited by Longsnowsm; 07-22-2015 at 04:33 PM..