View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,800 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I've been following him for a few years now, and have been gradually changing my habits and how I think about things. Despite how much I like MMM's articles, I largely avoid the forums. A good percentage of the clowns on there are of the opinion that everyone has equal opportunity in this world, and anyone failing financially is completely liable for their own failures, and that aid for people who fall through the cracks of society should be abolished.

It's a useful mindset to apply to one's self (in most cases), that you're really the only one who can help you, but I don't have the social conscience for the rest of it. It ignores people like Chineka, who applied for an office position at the dental office I was working at a few years back, and was denied the position because of her name. "I can't hire someone with a black sounding name, because I have a lot of old, white, possibly racist clients. They'll go elsewhere for their dental care if they hear 'Welcome to X dental, this is Chineka speaking, how can I help you?'". Or, my sister-in-law, who has a chronic illness and has managed to rack up a million dollars in medical expenses by the age of 23, and is medically unable to consistently hold a job.
That's how I feel about MMM too. The ideas are great, and good for him for being able to retire in his 30s. But at the same time, he and his wife held down fairly lucrative jobs, making six figures a year, for nearly a decade which, along with their frugality and saving, allowed them to get where they are. The majority of people will not be so fortunate, and while frugality will improve anyone's situation, the reality is most people won't be able to get where MMM is in spite of their efforts.