View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
The question is simple, Can we create lift by modding the underside of our vehicle? Not enough lift to flip us over, but enough lift that at certain speeds could affect the engine load thereby making our drive more efficient?
Since the advent of Mussolini's Autostrada,and Herr Hitler's Autobahn,aerodynamicists have endeavored to eliminate lift altogether from passenger cars.Dr.Alberto Morelli succeeded with his "banana"car of the 1970s.Lift coincides with induced drag,which lowers mpg and can frustrate directional stability at high speed and during gust conditions.
At first I was contemplating two ideas, dimpled bellypan, (Mangus effect).
I am not familiar with "Mangus" effect( is that Magnus?),as associated with vehicle undersides.I believe he observed cylindrical artillery shells straying off course,due to the spin induced by rifled cannon barrels.He made the connection,that a spinning cylinder produced lift.That would not be an operating system for a car's underside.If Mangus is the fellow that first made the association with dimples,and golf ball boundary layer separation,this would also be a dead end,as for the Reynold's Numbers which our cars operate at,dimpling would make no difference,as critical roughness would be measured in thousandths of an inch,not inches.
Or some type of wing or spoiler built under the car or near and between the two tires to take advantage of that turbulent air.
A wing will not work in turbulence.If you block the area between the tires,you increase frontal area,increasing drag.
Let hear some ideas, or just call me crazy and ignore this thread .. LOL
It's good that your thinking outside the box,however,there already exists a body of empirical scientific data which has already addressed your theoretical inquiry,and no fruit was borne out of investigations.I recommend that you exploit what is already in the bag,then refine the small points from there.Good questions!