View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 07:47 AM   #101 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

It has been a while since I posted so I decided to write a quick update. So what has Centurion #4 been up to? Currently sitting in my garage looking at all of the other projects collecting dust LOL

I have not made much progress on the body however I will be making a trip to the body shop here this week to purchase some sanders to at least get the sanding going at greater than hand sanding speed

Even though not much in the way of physical work I have been busy depleting the wallet! One item that I was able to purchase that I really needed was an Overdrive propshaft. Triumph Spitfire and GT6 cars had quite a few different length propshafts depending on what transmission they were using and whether they were equipped with an overdrive unit or not. This adds an element of difficulty to the quest but can be overcome once you know which transmission you have and if you are going to be using an overdrive unit along with it.

Now for Centurion #4 build remember that I am actually using an overdrive unit from a Volvo 1800. This means that I will have to modify the Spitfire propshaft on the Overdrive end in order to bolt to the Volvo D type overdrive. Even though the Volvo has a 3 bolt pattern do not be misled it is not the same as the Triumph bolt pattern. This can be pretty easily fixed with a good drill press Once the proper bolt pattern has been drilled out bolt it up and we are in business.

I will be using the standard Triumph Spitfire propshaft to start with in order to test it out with the 2 cylinder diesel. This also gives me some time to save up some dinero for the expensive carbon fiber unit that will eventually replace it.

Another part that I was able to get compliments of Ebay was the steering wheel. I opted for a 320mm 12.5' diameter guy that is used in karts. It uses a 6 bolt hub pattern so I should be able to get it to work with some off the shelf adapters. What I liked about it was its shape and colors. It had Kubota Orange and white striping along with a black base. I am exited to see it installed once I get my hands on it.

What else oh I was able to get some good deals on electric components. I have wrestled long and hard whether or not to hybridize this Centurion and after last week I think the hybrid design is winning out lol. I was able to get a solid never used GBS Lithium 48V battery pack and ME0913 electric motor along with some other electric goodies. The cost on the batteries along with BMS and charger was $300 which included shipping. The ME0913 motor I was able to get for $450.

So ya the wallet took a solid hit this month but all in all some good thrifty purchases that will save me money in the long run!

GH

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering Wheel #1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	18353  

Last edited by GreenHornet; 07-27-2015 at 07:54 AM..