View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #26 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
This image may make for a good addition to your guide:

I found that exact post and linked to the article the graphic was from. A Truck That Drinks Less Than a Car? | Popular Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Don't some trucks have running boards that pop out when you unlock the doors? Do they stay out until you park the vehicle?

Would they serve any purpose while the truck is in motion?
It would be hard to test. I'm of the opinion that you're better off without the weight and complexity. Remove them and add some permanent side skirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
I've got a deadline today, but I think I have a college paper which offers a slightly better a model for academic analysis purposes. Will post it later.

One of the images below is from that paper, a near single plane for hood/windshield.
The pickup wing image is interesting- where did you find it? The car still doesn't look even remotely real. Can't these schools afford a $100 Accord model off Turbosquid?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
"But there are accessories you can add to your truck that will help. GM says Tonneau covers for the bed help smooth airflow over the truck, and Bloch says soft covers are more beneficial than the hard ones because they “form to how the air wants to flow.” Round, tube-style running boards can also help air flow smoothly down the truck’s sides, but flush-mount running boards are even better."
Interesting; I didn't know that. Maybe something to add in. I like this photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Smooth running boards are better than round ones, and even better than normal ones? What about none?
I think they are assuming every truck has running boards, so they are ranking them. Rounded edges are best if you must have them. The best overall is probably similar to HydroJim's Focus: http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/...0-12-12008.jpg

This discussion about running boards is why I tried to stick to the basics. It's hard enough to get people to pay attention, so I don't want to confuse them.

PS- the article has over 150 views now! It seems to be the most popular one I've written to date.

Last edited by Sven7; 07-27-2015 at 12:37 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-27-2015), darcane (07-27-2015)