View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Longsnowsm
EcoModding Lurker

Peaty - '03 Honda Insight

Jimmy - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd, Extended Cab, SL
The trip home

Well I bought the truck and got it home Sunday. The wheels on the truck are not the OEM wheels so the wheel size is larger than the stock wheels. They are still a GMC wheel, but I don't think those were offered on this truck. It is a 16" wheel. The dealer decided to put new tires on it for me and chose a 235/70R16 which is slightly larger than the tire that I was going to put on the truck in a 225/75R15. However this worked out well as the 16" tire he chose is slightly taller than the tires I was going to put on it and that made it great for highway driving.

Now the results so far after 2 tanks, and haven't calculated the 3rd tank yet as I didn't fill up yet. But it looks like the factor to use with the larger tire is 1.0833 multiplier so my first tank was 27.44 mpg at 65 mph(per gps) with the cruise control on. The second tank it looks like 26.09 mpg with some cruise control, and some drafting, but I did run into some cross and headwinds. On the last tank which I haven't calculated I got into a bunch of construction, some bad weather, and a tailwind so I think the economy will be higher on this last tank, but I won't know until I go and do the fill up.

So I am pretty happy. The max sidewall on the new tires is 50 psi so that is what I set them to for this trip. At 65-66 mph per the GPS the tach is telling me about 2150 rpm. The truck has plenty of power and drives pretty nice for a truck.

So my tires upgrade was done for me, and not the tire I would have chosen, but I am pretty happy about getting new tires out of the deal. Just gives me some money to get my bed cover sooner and to get some of the things that need to be done on the truck completed like the fluids change in the rear diff, transmission, and the engine oils and bypass filter installed. So just have to take it one step at a time.

If this truck keeps getting this kind of mileage it will be a nice improvement over the 1500 Dodge. I am hoping that with the bed cover, grill block, and lower air dam extension that I can get this really close to 30 mpg on the highway at 65 mph. Since that is 3-4 mpg higher than my current economy I am very hopeful that I can get there and that would be my objective with the truck. If I can get more than that out of the truck it would just be icing on the cake.

I will post more updates and results as I get more data and make the changes.