View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cycle
EcoModding Lurker

Ok, next question... what software is there that will let a fatally artistically challenged (but extremely mechanically and analytically-inclined) person virtually construct a trellis-frame bike and test it for load and flex? Preferably free. Could CalcuLix do this?

I'll be using 4130 chrome-moly seamless tube with gusseting to reinforce the joints. The floorpan (where your feet rest) will be aluminum honeycomb sandwich panel (1/2" thick, only 1.2 pounds per square foot and able to hold 330 pounds of weight). The primary goal is a strong flex-free frame that is as light as possible to improve power:weight ratio.

My front suspension setup will be similar to the Bob Horn setup, with a similar non-steering setup in back. That'll let me adjust alignment, rake and trail, and gives a very low front end (especially with only a 13" front tire). The steering linkage will be dual pre-tensioned linkages so there's no steering slop.

To be 50-state legal (just in case I want to ride in other states), minimum seat height has to be 26" and minimum headlight height has to be 24", which leaves plenty of room around the front wheel for the ducting. I plan on having aerodynamic cutouts plenty large enough that I can get my feet out to balance at stops. They'll be designed to scoop some of the underbody air (the underbody will have two half-ducts that channel the air to the openings) and inject it into the passenger space to push the turbulent air up and over the rider. It'll be faired on the sides (with a small door to make entry easier), and the rider will sit inside the frame, for better crash protection. The body will be fully enclosed at the front (including the wheel), extend up to shoulder height in the rider space, then mimic the outline of the rider behind the rider space, tapering to a thin Kamm tail with the engine-exhaust-driven Coanda nozzle to inject engine exhaust and engine compartment warm air into the wake.

I'm going to attempt to use OpenFoam to model the aerodynamics, but like I said, I have zero artistic ability... so I'll likely get frustrated and hire it done.

This bike is pig-heavy for such a small one... curb weight of 338.8 pounds, although I've removed the rear seatrest / luggage rack which was 8.4 pounds (2.48% of the total weight!). Lots of components on this bike are heavier than they need to be... the metal plate that fits over the gas tank and reinforces the floor where your feet go weighs just over 6 pounds alone. It adds no structural strength to the frame, it's just there for your feet. I think I'll be able to find a lot of weight savings in getting rid of the heavy steel frame and all the heavy metal they've hung on this bike.