View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 09:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
You misread me, then.

Were the type shown worthwhile I'd have one. The reports on RV forums don't agree that toppers don't add much. They are a practical choice having to do with gear storage.

They don't help in aero much until a boat or canoe is on the roof; especially the latter. The add-on deflectors -- over the past twenty years of online reading have about one owner calling them a success.

The single report I've seen is where an owner took a rigid tonneau cover and propped it up and open while traveling. Reasonable testing.

Finally, the raised rear type has been around for decades. A good friend had one on his 1984 Chevrolet 6.2L diesel bought new. 400,000 miles later of a daily 240-mile commute one would not convince him to have another.

My cab high type exacts a penalty. Around .75-mpg on average without adverse winds. As the gap between truck and trailer is 60" I doubt it's of much benefit while towing. A deflector "might" be of aid, but until I modify the hitch receiver and part of the hitch to shorten the total distance (mainly an aid in better handling due to better distribution of tongue weight across both vehicles) to nearly finalize mechanical basics, I'll look to your testing as a guide.

Believe me that I'm pleased you've decided to give a fairly comprehensive set of tests. But do not mistake that my questions will presage those of other RVers. Weight, hitch set, axle alignment verification, etc, are all part of that.

You know as well as I that we can find what we want. But it doesn't mean the results are applicable to others. Examination of details is part of a that.

The type shown in the picture above us a dead end. Even full time RVers tend to put on more miles solo than towing. Retired, no permanent address. Limited income, in many cases.

The usual "solution" is to use a smaller, lighter trailer. Another dead end when a pickup is chosen as TV.

So your pursuit has application to many others. Default bad TT design choice and default bad choice of TV is the norm