View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
airflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle View Post
If one knows the dimensions of their aerodynamic body, is there a way to calculate the size of wake it'd leave, then calculate how much airflow would be required to fill the wake at any given speed, given the air temperature and thus density?

I'm thinking in terms of pushing heated air into the wake to fill it, to reduce drag.

Would OpenFoam be able to calculate this? I plan on mocking up my bike frame and body in the Z88 Aurora FEM program to ensure the frame is strong enough and the body fits well. Then I'll figure out some way of exporting the mockup from Z88 into OpenFoam to test aerodynamics.

I have absolutely no idea how to do any of that, I have no experience with FEM or fluid dynamics programs, and I have no artistic ability whatsoever... so this is likely to be the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Expect plenty of profanity.
If you can approximate the road load horsepower necessary to propel the bike at your design velocity,then you might think in terms of a high-static-pressure fan powered by an electric motor of a horsepower equal to up to 60%-70% of your total road horsepower, required to produce enough thrust into the wake to compensate for the base pressure drag of the wake,depending upon the bike/rider aerodynamic combination.
An HVAC contractor can calculate the air volume from the HP and duct dimensions/jet size,assuming smooth walls.
Cycle (08-06-2015)