View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Longsnowsm
EcoModding Lurker

Peaty - '03 Honda Insight

Jimmy - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd, Extended Cab, SL
Thanks for the input on the topper/shell/camper vs the tonneau cover. I went ahead and ordered a cover and will be playing with that over the next couple of months doing some incremental changes to the truck and doing several test runs, log the differences and then proceed to the next mod. I want to see if I can quantify the fuel economy differences as I change things one thing at a time. First things first I will find a route that I can drive as my test loop and make some baseline runs to get an idea of the current economy with my stock config and the oversized tire that came on the truck and see how that does. Right now I have to get out and mount my oil bypass filter, do an engine flush, and run some injector cleaner through it to get it read for the baseline runs.

Then I will next do a fluids change to synthetics engine, transmission, and rear diff and then run the baseline again. I will log any changes in fuel economy, then finally I will put the cover on the truck and see what that does. Then depending on how that looks I will start looking at the air dam and grill block. That will be going into the fall most likely and will make a great test bed for my next road trip to the midwest from CO. Hopefully we will be creeping up on my 30mpg goal at 65 mph.