View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 11:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
ciano22
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
If you want a unique car that'll probably be faster than any other FWD Impala SS, then go ahead and do it. Your first step should be figuring out how you're going to physically get power from the motor(s) to the rear wheels. Using the rear axle from another car and connecting the motor(s) to the differential is probably your best bet.

If you want the fastest V8 car for the money, you might be better off getting a RWD car. For $10k you can easily get a car that is faster than your car currently is, maybe even faster than it would be with the electric motors.
I totally understand that I can get a much faster car for not too much money, but I am trying to see if it is possible that I can make this car into something really special. This car has a V8 in it, which could be upgraded to get some good power, but then it just cannot put power down until about 40 mph. This car consistently chirps the tires if I floor it at under 40 mph, and it has nothing to do with the sheer power of the engine, and more to do with the fact that its FWD.

I am wanting to see if adding RWD power to it will remedy this situation. Once the car is going, it is definitely respectably fast, but its a joke off the line. If these electric motors can get the car off the line faster, then I think it can compete very well with cars that are naturally much faster, once the gas engine is also upgraded. I want to do this electric stuff for under 10k, because it will be around 7k to get the gas engine upgraded to putting out close to 500hp by itself, which is possible, but incredibly stupid in a car that is FWD.

The main thing that I'm asking is the price and the expected outcome. Will have 2 electric motors, putting out roughly 300lbft of torque(150 to each rear wheel), coupled with my gas engine, putting out(realistically) around 280 lbft of torque, make my car get to 60 mph all that much faster, or are there seriously limiting factors that make the performance gain not worth it?