View Single Post
Old 08-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #523 (permalink)
Longsnowsm
EcoModding Lurker

Peaty - '03 Honda Insight

Jimmy - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd, Extended Cab, SL
I have to admit back a decade or better ago I was suckered into trying the magnets. I remember thinking hey these things work... When reality set it that I had a good tank due to weather, or my driving, more highway miles that tank and my tank averages returned to normal ranges. Then it began to sink in that the magnets were a waste. Some times there are variations from tank to tank that can be explained and it is only over time that the averages smooth out the noise and it becomes clear that what you changed may not have had the impact you thought until you can witness the data over a span of time. A good example is the wide swings in MPG from winter to summer months.

I had a similar experience with Splitfire spark plugs. I put them in my car at the time and my fuel economy improved... For a short while. Fresh plugs seem to give that particular car a boost in economy at least for a short period of time, then it returned back to normal ranges. Of course I didn't connect the dots on that one until I started swapping various plugs in my engine and noticed the pattern with the short boost in economy with the fresh plugs. That is when it started to get real that my improvement had nothing to do with the "Splitfire" plugs, but just the fact that I had put in fresh plugs. That was the story with that car, since then I tried the new plugs trick on a couple of other cars and I didn't get quite the same boost, or no change at all in some cases.

So I will admit I have been a sucker in the past for things that claim to improve fuel economy or provide some other enhancement to the vehicle performance. However the devil is in the details, and fuel logs and paying attention to the changes and how you were driving during a given tank of gas and the type of driving will probably tell more of the story than many of the "gadgets, gizmo's, and mods" that we might try or buy for our cars...

Me personally, I tried the magnets many many many moons ago, they didn't work for me. Looking at it beyond the marketing nonsense and thinking about how fuel and internal combustion engines work it amazes me that I fell for that... But live and learn... :-D

I think out of all of the stuff I have tried over the years about the only thing I bought that panned out positively was synthetic oils and improved filter technology, but none of that really had much of an impact to fuel economy, it is more about vehicle maintenance more than MPG. Of course this was back in the days when most of you guys would have been calling synthetics snake oil! LOL

The only thing magnetic that works is the magnetic personality of the sales pitch guy convincing you to buy his magnet gadget....

If you claim to have magnets that work then lets see the data... I am all for facts, research, science, and data... And anything your pitching should be easily verifiable. Heck if they work so well then I tell you what, send them to a couple of respected forum members here that are meticulous with their logs and let them try it and lets see how their logs bear out what your saying... Should be really simple to do. :-D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Longsnowsm For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (08-07-2015), mcrews (11-04-2015)