View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
cts_casemod
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
This is an excellent, pragmatic range for a charger - exactly what I want to do.

What drives the converter into DCM? Is it the voltage difference between the battery voltage and the peak rectified AC voltage?

What happens in the situation of DC input, with limited current (solar). Would it be possible to stay near the maximum power point of the solar panels? Maybe not a perfect mppt set-up, but close?

Also, to do the pulsed charging near the end of the charge cycle, what do these controllers do? The Infineon one I used had a "sleep" mode.

Thanks a bunch,

E*clipse
For a given inductance, the slope of the current on an inductor is more or less constant. If the frequency, current or duty cycle are low, for a given slope the inductor current will quickly ramp back to zero.

At low voltages, or loads, to keep the input sinusoidal the current must be reduced in phase with the voltage, therefore it goes into DCM.

For a limited DC, one needs a large input capacitor to reduce the source impedance. The converter then can work in burst mode or DCM with reduced output frequency.

I'm not familiar with the pulse charging setup. How does it work?

Last edited by cts_casemod; 08-09-2015 at 06:23 PM..