View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
It is official - this is a build thread now.

I just bought 36 of these cells, 3 metal boxes to take 12 of them each, wires, nuts, 6 Anderson connectors, 3 36 Volt chargers, 3 BMSs, etc.

The BMSes are 12 cell 55 Amp cutoff top balancing type. And of the not yet in stock, will be sent in a fortnight type
But there is enough to prepare and test before I get to mount them.

Splitting the pack in 3 may seem strange, but we could not get a 36 cell BMS with the proper specs. Also the 12 cell subpacks are a lot easier to carry and safer to handle than one 36 cell pack, and they can shed any heat they'd produce easier.

The steel cell boxes are relatively heavy and quite sturdy. The lid has a recess where the wires pass through and the charge connectors can be mounted. The boxes are (just) big enough for 16 12 Ah cells, but I need a divisor of 36.
12 cells leave ample space for the BMS, padding and short protection.

While these BMSes are not designed to switch voltages of 117 Volt combined, the fact is that the packs are matched against the IMA pack which should always be in a range between 90 and 122 Volt, but most likely 105 to 117. That should be 30 to 41 Volt, and 35 to 39 Volt per cell block. Values a BMS should be able to handle.
Even if the blocks would not mach charge it is unlikely any of them, held in threesome against the IMA battery, would see extremely over 45 or below 0 Volt.

No pictures yet, the stuff is in boxes in the boot; I'll unpack it tomorrow well away from my offspring's little and unruly fingers.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
Daox (08-10-2015)