View Single Post
Old 08-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
stiletto2
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplerotor View Post
i understand the efficiency for cvt is lower than chain drive gear, but from my understanding as the cvt have unlimited ratio and im mostly driving 18mph and other teams also doing the same so driving 18mph at what rpm is more important.the lower rpm the better. for chain n drive lowering the gear ratio to achieve lower rpm at the speed will have a drawbacks on the acceleration. would cvt have the same drawbacks?

i cant imagine anything 4 wheels using suspension that are having that thickness except for drag wheels.
this is 15x3.5 wheels. but i still need car hub to fix it which will increase the weight.
CVT's do NOT have unlimited ratios. They are continuously variable within the available, but limited ratio it has. The ratio is limited by the size of the diameters of the pulley faces where the drive belt can move to on both the variator end and clutch end of the drive system. Since the CVT gives variable ratios to the drive whereas the chain drive is more fixed, the CVT will ease the transition from start to its top or cruising speed, but is less efficient. Loss because of friction from resistance of belt being forced up the variator pulley faces and down the driven pulley faces while under tension. (and it is always under tension)

At some point, rpm that is too low will not be enough to force the variator to its top ratio. Heavier weights would help as they would force the variator to work the pulley faces together at lower rpm, but it would take a bit of experimentation to get closer to what might work and acceleration may still be slow but maybe not lug the engine as much like a fixed ratio would. Like most things, there are trade offs. Some of this for some of that... good luck with your project.