View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
WE3ZS
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
Friend of mine has a Subaru STI that has a rear differential temperature sensor. NASCAR and other race cars run external differential coolers, I believe. Does using the full plug hole for a temp sender give accurate results? I thought the probe needed to be submerged for accurate readings, WE3ZS might see quick cooling if the sensor was submerged during the climb, and in the air while on the flat/down slope. My experience with rears is to fill until the oil flows out of the hole, if Fords are filled differently, my statement might not have any relevance but if I were adding a temp sender to anything, I'd make sure it was in constant contact with the substance it is supposed to measure.

Absolutely the sensor is at/above fluid level being in the fill port. And it would be better to have it submerged at all times, but....... My housing doesn't have a provision for a sensor below the level and once moving at highway speeds the fluid is pretty "active" in there. My setup most certainly isn't optimum, but it's the best setup I've seen on the truck forums without either adding holes to my housing (I'm chicken ) or adding a $300 Mag-Hytek diff cover with a drain port I could use (I'm frugal ).