View Single Post
Old 08-24-2015, 01:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
larrybuck
Master EcoModder

ironic turns in life

Have been excited having a young man do an diesel swap on my VW Quantum wagon. Bought as a dead gas 5cyl. w stick. for cheap. Stored for 4 yrs.

Got in gear, bought an '82 Audi 4000 diesel sedan w stick. Orig. Audi diesel had been replaced w 1,6 '81 diesel from rabbit. Young man had to do many custom things like radiator mounts, custom motor mounts. Running, driving nice, but he's scratching his head to complete correct diesel wiring into a gas car.
So I had him divert to welding shut the leaky sunroof, removing factory roof cargo rails......then totally by accident I find a factory VW Quantum wagon diesel stick clean, unrusty, ready to drive for $1,300. Of course I bought it 3 days before leaving on a cross country trip in my '87 CRX. This CRX has been my motor home for several past trips, so I know I could trust it, as I couldn't a 3 day old purchase though the sleeping room would have been much more comfortable.
Still haven't got to even a 200 mile mileage check w either of the other 2 HF "87 CRX's I have. No good for the trip, cause hot summertime with black interiors w no air is a no go for me. So my trusty white on blue DX saw me through as per usual w no issues. Gone 18 days from the Portland/Vancouver area to Wisconsin, then on to Watkins Glen NY, to watch my first and (only) to se #24 Jeff Gordon race. Then it was off to Boise to visit a lady friend ( who at 1st glance at the CRX said where is the rest of your car?, and likened it to an AMC Gremlin!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ouch!), then on through Yosemite to get to the historic races at Laguna Seca, (if you ever get the chance...go awesome!!!!) then enjoyed highway 1, and 101 going home. My DX never got below 50mpg although I was carrying a window type airconditioner, a folding rack with a big piece of plywood to be used as a table supporting the rear of the conditioner out the driver's window. until I hit very strong headwinds westbound in Wyo. w rain. Dipped to 44mpg during spirited driving on highway 1. 2 entries were just shy of 59 mpg.
Had a great time, now how to figure out where to park all these cars...definitely not the worst problem to have considering serious things like it seems all of eastern WA. is trying to burn in forest fires!!!

PS more ironics: this 2nd Quantum has no roof rack or sunroof to have issues, just all ready to go!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/gr...smiley-003.gif

06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to larrybuck For This Useful Post:
user removed (08-24-2015)