View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 09:52 PM   #44 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
One thing to consider is the time factor. Higher speed when climbing means less time at the much lower mileage than your average for the whole trip. While your mileage might not be it's highest climbing at higher speed, your time suffering through that lower mileage is less and therefore you will have an overall average higher by spending less TIME making the climb and MORE time at higher mileages.

I may be crazy but I'm fairly sure the time factor at much lower mpg is something to consider as well.

Maintain the best load in gear until the grade forces you to loose speed, then use the next lower gear to maintain the best load, but also make the total climb as short as practical. Not crazy different but err to the practical but shorter (time wise) climb.

This assumes the coast downhill will not force you to sacrifice your speed for staying legal as far as speed limits. Most of the hills here are not steep or sustained and when I can do so without aggravating others my speed will be lowest at the top of the hill, allowing me to reach my peak speed without risking a traffic ticket.

With lower grades, I try to keep my downhill speeds close to the limit in traffic and I can do this on the Interstate in 65 mph traffic, pulse drafting a big rig. I did this today going to the dentist and when I got there I was reading 61 mpg for 25 miles without causing any problems with other traffic.

regards
mech