View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 09:10 PM   #34 (permalink)
pgfpro
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
First a foremost thanks everyone for all the advise.

Well there are times I can give good advise then their times I forgot to go by my own advise that I have given.lol I started out this morning trying to locate the engine grounds and this is what I found.

I tell all my friends when they are having engine issues to start with the basic and first check the battery connections and the engine grounds. Then I turn into a little excited kid with a new toy and forget everything I have learned. So it takes you guys on this forum to wake me up and look at the basics and one by one do the process of limitation based on ease and low cost amount.
So as you can see one of the ground wires is completely broke and not connected to anything on the engine/trans. The other ground cable looks like its holding on by a thread. I can't find anymore grounds, just these two???
So I did a test that has worked great in the past and took a set of jumper cables and connected them to all different points on the engine and then to the the cars frame work.

Then off for a test drive and guess what we have lean burn in a lot more load cells. So I start checking the 12v battery cable positive and negative and both cables are loose> I tried tightening earlier but the bolt was all the in as far as it would go. After further inspection I see that both post the cables are just on the top part and can be turned by hand. So I loosing them up and move them to the lower part of the post where its wider and now we have great clamping pressure and no more loosey loosey.

So I went to the parts store and bought 3 new 4 gage cables and mounted them is these locations.

Also while I was at it I decide to do the EGR cleaning with WD40 and let it set until I got back from work then blown it out. It now even runs better then the last test run.
I think what happen the car has a new transmission and when they replaced it they broke the ground cable and never event tried to fix it. The good is the transmission shifts like butter. The bad chasing my tail trying to figure out whats with lean burn.

I did some freeway testing in the middle of rush hour. What a pain just trying to stay a live. Anyway I got behind a 5th wheel trailer that was going around 60 mph average. I did just a slight draft and the car responded like no other I ever driven. The FCD would read up to 100 mpg and keep pretty steady. On my way back I had to go 65 to 70 mph and the FCD drop but if the traffic was all around me and tight it would run around 70mpg on the FCD.

These cars are amazing when it comes to feeling the wind drag. They remind me of riding a motor cycle in traffic. You feel everything.

Anyway sorry for the long post but I'm very excited to start racking up some great FE numbers now. Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by pgfpro; 08-26-2015 at 09:15 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-22-2016), ME_Andy (08-26-2015), user removed (08-26-2015)