View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Why would I enjoy a stupid movie? (Or TV program, book, &c.) That's not limited to the anti-science stupidity of movies like "Star Wars", either. I'd rather see people using intelligence to solve their problems...
Every movie is stupid in some way. Even documentaries are not a 100% reflection of reality--whoever directed it chose what footage to show and what to leave out, whoever wrote the voiceover did the same, and these reflect their perceptions and biases and agenda. Historically-based movies are often gross misrepresentations or exaggerations of the events or eras they portray. If you're looking for media that's entirely congruent with reality...well, I guess you can sit and stare at a blank wall. Even academic articles are biased, by virtue of being produced by humans. I don't think something is necessarily "stupid" just because it's fantasy or misrepresents reality--the ability to fantasize is one thing that distinguishes us from every other species on this planet, as far as we can tell.