Thread: Immortus
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
The problem is, that with most current technology, that the EV battery/drivetrain weighs more than the gas drivetrain.
I think your including vehicle components in the term 'drivetrain' that most people do not traditionally include with that term... ie (battery or gas tank)

Traditional usage neither term (drivetrain or powertrain) includes the gas tank itself part of the system .. nor the gasoline itself in the gas tank.

- - - -

That having been said .. I'll agree [Gas Tank] > [Battery] in terms of energy per weight or volume.

That 10kwh of battery is the energy equivalent of about ~1/3 of a gallon of gasoline.

- - - -

I agree with the other sentiment .. I think they are exaggerating the performance description .. and I think they will have a hard time even with 100 for $300k each.

It might be 'sporty' for a economy car .. but I don't expect true 'sportcar' performance .. not if they want to keep the other goals of weight and such.

Given there are already tons of other 'sportcars' out there .. the only real market segment open for them at all .. even if a long shot .. is getting the most performance/comfort they can from a road going 2 seat commuter solar car .. one that might collect as much as ~2MWH of solar electricity per year from it's own solar panels.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamIan For This Useful Post:
e*clipse (08-28-2015)