View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Longsnowsm
EcoModding Lurker

Peaty - '03 Honda Insight

Jimmy - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd, Extended Cab, SL
Finished buttoning up the drop in bed liner and I don't like one of the compromises that I had to make. My truck came with a factory tailgate cap/spoiler that extended the top of the tailgate width by about 1.5-2 inches so it was about 4 inches wide on the top and is there to help with economy. The drop in liner has a tailgate panel that extends over the top of the tailgate. They mention they know about the tailgate spoiler and made a dotted line across the tailgate panel where you can cut it off so that it wouldn't interfere with the tailgate spoiler. Looking at it I just couldn't see how that was going to be adequately secure nor did it appear it was going to work as well at protecting the tailgate. So I flipped a coin and removed the tailgate spoiler and just installed the bedliner panel.

I hope that removing that cap/spoiler isn't going to be a significant hit in my attempt to improve the trucks aero and fuel economy on the highway. I guess I will find out soon enough. I am not happy about that compromise. I will see if I can get some time to get the tonneau on the truck this weekend and see how it goes from there. If I can figure out how to post some pics I will post what this frankentruck looks like and what I am doing.

Update: Made my loop out of the city and back and saw 30.1 mpg up hill run with a tailwind, and 33.9 back downhill with a headwind keeping it at 55 mph. The wind factor is a variable that I haven't seen on the few previous runs, but the traffic was flowing and no hold ups due to traffic, just had to slow or stop for lights. So it is hard to tell if there is any real difference with the MAF/TB/plugs cleaning and change and the tailgate cap removal. Right now I would have to say it looks like the change is negligible, but will be able to tell more after a few more runs watching it.

Last edited by Longsnowsm; 08-29-2015 at 02:58 PM..