View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
hybridregret
EcoModding Lurker

Because I imagine an investigation into the details of my refurbishment will be precipitated by my first post, here is a little info on my process.

I topped off the battery in car, by using the little trickle charge the IMA at or above 3k rpms trick immediately prior to disassembly, to capture what data I could about what the car considers to be a full charge.

It came out right at 156 VDC for the assembly, and each stick measured right at 7.80 VDC upon disassembly.

I then documented the discharge mAh of each stick during a 10A drain to .8V/cell. The values were pretty pathetic, ranging from 193 to 2748 mAh per stick. A trio or better of 10A-discharge/2A-charge cycles per stick netted me an average charge input of 6642 mAh per stick, with the maximum variation of only 0.04% between sticks.

I monitored and documented the voltage decline over time before cycling each stick again to verify holding capacity. After about 2 weeks, each stick was in the range of 7.95 to 8.00 VDC, and they all discharged right around 5000 mAh. A pretty good looking bunch if I say so myself.

As my final step in the refurbishment process, I quickly went through the entire lot twice in a staggered fashion doing a reflex (996 milliseconds charge @4A, 4 milliseconds @10-16A discharge, every second) top off charge to ensure an even voltage profile across the entire pack. This left the assembly at nearly 170 VDC (>8.3V/stick). I felt that letting it normalize over 2 weeks to <160V (<8V/stick would be smart, as I felt like >20V over the 144V nominal was likely to piss of the battery management computer.

My suspicion at this point is that I have pissed it off, and I'm going to have to load the battery to get it below 156V.

Sorry for the novel, but the forums I regular will publicly hang you if they don't get the full scoop prior to a request for advise.