View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
Whatever just happened, it looks like the fuel economy went up a bit with use over the last several tanks since the idling tank. It's a combination of that I used up the old "winter tank" gas and that I've just been using the car for long trips, and also (maybe?) that I just stuck some Iso-Heet in the fuel this last tank. I haven't filled up yet, though I can say the fuel economy (unless I now idle it away) is above 20 for this tank unlike the last two fill-ups. I haven't filled it back up yet.

Possible, still considered mods and ideas for future use:

Full Synthetic Fluids - ATF (Mercon V,) Power Steering Fluid (Which is ATF type F,) Engine Oil (0w30; May also use Archoil Friction Modifier) Gear Oil (75w90.)

These full synthetic fluids, I'm told, may indeed necessitate the use of a rebuild of both the engine and transmission which is why I haven't gone with them just yet. Got any suggestions, with 231.5k on the odometer? I think the odometer's a bit off though and reads higher than it is since the speedometer's 4 MPH too high at 55 MPH.

On-Demand Fan
Larger Tires

Also, to inspect and/or fix these:

Fan Shroud
Driver's Window (was acting up a bit though is closed now)
Inspect Suspension Bushings
Rust Bubbling Repairs (which there are a few to have removed and replaced with new metal and finish touch ups)
Speedometer Accuracy (reads +4 MPH too high as is)
Etc, Etc...

I'm going all out in my imagination, WITH a towing hitch. The previous owner did convert the A/C to R134, to speak a bit for his ownership of it.

Last edited by 101Volts; 08-29-2015 at 06:28 PM..