Thread: Immortus
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
The traditional usage was predicated on the assumption that all vehicles will use a gas tank, exhaust system, etc. I'm merely extending the concept for a fair comparison.
Traditional usage .. has been used for wind turbine powertrains , water wheel powertrains , etc .. (gas tank), (exhaust system), etc.. assumptions are not part of the accepted/conventional usage of the terminology .. Just like if someone says 'wheel' .. they are not talking about the 'shaft' that may or may not be attached to the wheel .. even if the 'shaft' could be part of the system.

It's not a big deal .. just making your own person changes to word definitions.

Quote:
Yes; I am including those because it seems to me all components involved in an system need to be included.
makes sense .. and I'll agree such considerations are good.

Soo when do you include:

The air (Oxygen) needed for the ICE ? ... like rockets vs jets.

And .. When do you include all the horribly low efficiency , high weight, large volume, long time, steps it takes for that gasoline solar energy storage system ? ... After all we have these steps included for the PV+Battery solar energy storage system.

Quote:
Personally I would gladly swap the solar panels for more batteries, and put more solar panels into my grid-tied home system.
You probably have a very good chance to get more yearly kwh from the solar panels that way .. although you would than be throwing away almost all the solar energy hitting the car's surface .. And probably not enough weight saved on vehicle to gain another battery string.

Also keep in mind .. The solar panels on the car itself are a crucial part of it's marketing .. without them on the car .. they are just another BEV .. it is the amount of solar energy harvest that is integrated into the car that allows it to even have a tiny chance to stand out and distinguish itself from other BEVs.