View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #477 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
You make me so envious, BUT...

Centurion is a two-seater. There's three of us carpooling. And I know your tee-ninetsie li'l motor is sufficient to get you down the road at a decent pace, but I think three-up would make things just a wee tad too lethargic.

But imagine if we could get all those people in their ridiculously oversized SUVs, riding alone, into Centurions. We'd have to turn some oil tankers around and send them back!
If people need more than 2 seats for car pooling Centurion will not work. The vast majority of people only need a single seat the vast majority of the time believe it or not.

According to RQ Riley in his book Alternative Cars in the 21st Century A New Personal Transportation Paradigm 2nd Edition

Reference on page 44 Figure 2.1 Vehicle Capacity to Accommodate Trips:

Looking at this Pie chart 87.2% of all trips can be accommodated by a 2 seat vehicle. 7.4% require a third seat and the remaining require 5.4%.

If we go off of this chart Centurion turns out to be a very favorable design for the majority due to 2 seat seating. However you raise the point of Speed.

Now if you want a car with blazing acceleration than currently Centurion the way it is designed will not work. However with some tweaking Centurion could have incredible acceleration potential with the use of Superchargers, Turbochargers, and electric motors due to its size and aerodynamic potential.

How fast do people really need to go? I think this is best answered with speed limits and for me speeding tickets are to much money these days to risk going way over the speed limit. So the Centurion due to its top end speed will work great IMHO to prevent me from going to fast and getting a ticket.

Besides speed is what kills fuel economy acceleration is what you want to focus on and that is best answered with better low end torque! Improving this will make the car far more capable and fun to drive around town without sacrificing fuel economy!

GH