View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #37 (permalink)
kafer65
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgrey50 View Post
Slant Six Forum is a fabulous source for info on the...well, slant six. Even a how-to for DIY fuel injection.
Yeah, I like it too! I put a orange box on my Dodge slant 6 truck 9 years ago and compatible distributor and dream of fuel injection. Its the last year of the slant in the truck and it was lean burn new. I removed the computer myself since the Carter carb was long gone. There was a vacuum line that went to a vacuum can that was mounted on the lean burn computer. After 20 years the diaphram would crack and it wouldn't read properly. I'm told that even though the automatic is very durable there is more than a 20 percent loss in efficiency over a manual. I have a 70s Chevy truck vacuum switch to use the overdrive which makes the gearing pretty good otherwise. I've got the weight down to around 3900 pounds for a long bed with helper springs. Front air dam and magnesium wheels installed as well. It would get 17 mpg new. I get 12 in traffic now. Love the ride and sound. I'm pretty sure that even if I had a good kamm back cap and belly pan I'd still get 12mpg with this Holley carb I have on it now. Trivia: the 225 slant 6 weight is about the same as the 2 liter VW TDI engine

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html