View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 06:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Ever stood close to (well, not TOO close, though :-)) to a high voltage power line, and heard the 60-cycle hum? That's power being lost. Changing currents (and AC is always changing, by definition) generate electromagnetic radiation, which is energy lost over & above the resistance of the conductor.

But it is significantly MORE efficient to boost voltage to 1000 kV and send 1000 miles or so as DC, than as A/C.
Another expression of the power being lost is seen if you carry a fluorescent tube with you as you walk under a AC transmission line. The fluorescent tube will light up by itself without any power connected to it.

It also generates electric currents in any wires (fencing, etc.) located next to it. When I ran a single wire electric fence next to a power line that runs through my property, before being connected to the electric fence charger it showed 800v on my voltmeter and would give me a noticeable jolt when I touched the wire (but not even close to the jolt given by the fence charger once it was connected).