View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 02:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
2000mc
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I've heard good things from the guys running Defenders. However, I must say it is hard to swallow an extra $120 for LRR tires. I don't think you'll save that cost in gas within the life of the tire.
When gas was 3.50/gal it was a lot better gamble. Now I'd say it's more like even money, problem being that it means you're behind until the end of the tires life. Might help more that there is usually a $50-80 rebate every other month

It's not too hard to imagine how it could still work out though, the kumhos performance is unknown, but in a tirerack test http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=189 the defenders beat the worst performer in the test by over 3.8%. Using that, and assuming the tire lasts the tread wear warranty of 90k, gas averages where it is now at $2.44, and donahues first 37mpg fill... That would be a $225 difference.
Of course thats optimistic, they only beat the other non lrr tire by 1.2%, and maybe they'll only last you 60k, and if gas only averages $2. Then you'd only see a $38 difference.