View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #41 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
One of those days...

Got the last batches of stuff I need to build the pack in today, except for the stuff I need to keep the battery boxes in place; haven't decided yet how to do that.
But enough to do now.

So I started enlarging 2 holes in a lid of one of the battery boxes to fit these wire protectors:

(Yup, they really are that big!)

I ordered the smallest size available, and they fit the cables nicely; locking them when fully tightened, but just then. Perfect!
Only snag, they are gigantic!
Oh well, if it fits it works. It just looks a bit odd.

The holes I need are just half a millimeter bigger than the two holes in the box.
So I used my fake Dremel to enlarge it.
and use and use and use...
Geez, that battery box steel is tough!

Now I also need to make a hole for the charge connector.
Basically a 22 mil big hole with two tiny screw holes aside of it and one slightly bigger hole for the springed lid joint.

The lid has two small holes where a wire could be passed through. Two holes which, accidentally, fit the thick wires perfectly, as the rubber grommets in them have a perfectly sized hole. But one really strong pull on those cables would cut or short them with the box lid so no thanks.

I enlarged the hole closest to the edge to take the charge connector.
Did I say the steel is really hard?
An hour later the connector fits!
Now to drill the small holes on the side.
My handheld drill goes all over the place but cannot bore anything resembling a hole. The drill bit is warped and does not have a sharp point.

My fake dremel only fits a bigger diameter drill bit so I use that. At least it revs better. Finally there is a hole, but it still takes ages.
It gets deeper and deeper. Hm, I should be through the plate material by now.
Flipped the lid to see a tiny bulge where I drilled. Okay, I'll stop there for now.
Second hole opposing that. Still takes ages to get anywhere. Moreover, the drill does not get hot at all.
I could use a bit more RPM...

Gave it a bit more RPM. Just a bit.
The tip of the drill shines red. I stop immediately, but the tip has melted and filled out the newly drilled hole completely flat with its hardened steel...

I call it a night, close the shed, open my mail and a bottle of La Chouffe and type my heart out

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-05-2015 at 03:38 PM..