Thread: Bionic Van
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 03:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
is this it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
Is this it?

Most of the info I found when searching for Freuhauf was about current designs, them losing business, and recalls.
MazdaMatt,I checked my photo album,and it looks like I never posted the article about the Freuhauf/International truck/trailer combo.There's some other stuff but not what I wanted to share.I've got the article,it's from CAR and DRIVER I think.I can try and scan it and email it to the aero forum or I could mail a copy to you. Since so many everyday-use truck items are standardized(glad-hands,pintle-hooks,Hub-o-meters,etc.)seems like we could have a national standard for convoy stuff and trailer stuff.Anyone could manufacture as long as they respect the standard.Perhaps the cost of royalties are underwritten by the taxpayers(as we all stand to benefit).Nationwide parts and service,universal familiarity,everybody can work on it.Maybe it's so good,it never breaks down! Massive public education programs could bring all motorists up to speed in a matter of a few months,as to how important the drafting could be,not only for the U.S.,but everyone.The impact would quite literally ripple through the entire economy.It would be a way for the government to put it's mouth where it's money is.Our money! I've tried to find fault with the idea,other than it would mean reduced fuel tax revenues to the states and federal govt.