View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 02:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Donahue
EcoModding Lurker

White Lightning - '04 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.5 mpg (US)
When I picked up the car, it had a CEL on for the primary O2 sensor. I've replaced it with the proper sensor and the light turned off. With no sensor I'm pretty sure I was running and open loop and was not able to get into lean burn. For informational putposes, my car uses a 4 wire wide band AFR sensor in place of an O2 sensor. Most of the info about HX models indicate they use a 5 wire sensor. I can only assume that since most HX models are 6th gens, and mine is a 7th, that has something to do with it. The correct sensor for me was a Denso 234-9005.

This weekend I also got a jump start on all the maintenance this car needs. My buddy just installed a two post lift in his shop and so I took it down there to work on it. Man does that make a difference. This was also the first time my 5 year old son has "helped" me work on a car.

I changed the timing belt, and water pump, as well as all the gaskets and seals I the valve cover. I also checked the valve lash while I was in there, along with new coolant. I also switched to Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20w. This will be m first experience with synthetic oils. I'm hoping to bump the change interval up to 10k. If I see any mileage improvements, the more the better, but that's not my primary reason for wanting to try it.

I also noticed while the car was in the lift that one of my tires is a lot worse than I thought and it will force me to get the replacements now instead of waiting a few months.