View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #1957 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I can just have the software scan through the rotor test results, and pick the best one, and then save it to EEProm. Also, I can have it automatically save the best PI values too. If we want to get really fancy, we could have the controller turn on, and if there's no valid EEProm data, it could automatically do the PI test and then rotor test, and then save it. That way you wouldn't need to communicate through the serial port. All a person would have to do is, connect the controller to the motor, go have a bowl of cereal, come back, and it's ready to go!

There is a way to list preset settings. I think I had it commented out or something. I'll include that too. What word should it be? Fran had used "config" for the 144v 500amp DC controller. How about "settings"? Or we could allow both to do the same thing.

Also, I'm going to add a new "bad command or file name" (yay dos!) error message when a command doesn't exist.

Well, I think a serial connection is necessary.

I"ve been reading up on sensorless FOC, and it doesn't look that bad. It requires knowledge of the line to line resistance and line to line inductance. Here's a way to compute that:
If you put 100% duty across phase 1 to phase 2 (phase 3 off), then, you can measure

I1 = Vb/R * (1 - e^(-t1*R/L))
I2 = Vb/R * (1 - e^(-t2*R/L))

Where
Vb = battery pack voltage
R = resistance of phase 1 (or 2 or 3)
e = 2.7182818
1 = 1
- = -
^ = exponent
L = inductance of phase1 (or 2 or 3) stator coil.
t1 = time #1 (first measurement time)
t2 = time #2 (2nd measurement time)

then you have 2 equations with 2 unknowns, and you can solve for R and L. But the stator coils aren't really isolated inductors, but primaries of transformers, with the rotor being the secondary. I bet that changes how that works. dang it.

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 09-09-2015 at 11:38 AM..