View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 02:34 PM   #289 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl62 View Post
I weighed the 24 cells shown on a bathroom scale (not the most accurate I know) and it came to ~26.4lbs. That doesn't include the end plates, 4 bolts to hold the stack together or bus bars. I am using 1.2lbs/cell as a good estimate of per cell weight with all this extra stuff.

For bus bars I am going to use 1/8 x 4" 6061-T61 aluminum. From ampacity charts, it should be able to carry ~585A with 30C temp rise, and 780A with 50C temp rise. As I should be seeing no more than 600A peak for only short durations, I think I should be fine. I'm seeing much higher temp rise than that with my current copper bus bars from Thundersky (and 1000A peak).
Ok, so a set of 4 cells 2s2p (equivalent to a Nissan Leaf module) would weigh about 4.8 lbs. However, to ensure the cells can handle the current, you're using 6p instead of 2p. The 500A is similar to the current I'll be using in my 4 motor system. If your #'s are correct, and you do need to limit the current to 5c or 6c, then I would also need a 6p Enerdel pack. The equivalent "module" would then be 2s6p and weigh 14.4lbs.

Hmmmm - that would actually weigh more. Of course this is all predicated on how hard one can push the cells. Maybe I'm planning to push the Leaf cells to hard.

Another question - do you plan to do any cooling for the cells? Are you concerned with the hotter bus bars actually causing heat to go into the cells, rather than being a cooling opportunity?

Thanks again for information and discussion. It's nice to be able to compare systems like this.