View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
iamnotahippee
Carbon Abuser

Olaf - '03 Honda Civic Hybrid

Sven - '06 Volvo Xc90 2.5t

Work Truck - '04 Chevy Silverado 3500
Aeromod this, if you dare! (2004 Chevy 1 ton, cab and chassis truck)

So reading about the mods some of you are doing has me inspired to try some things on my personal drivers. But it got me to thinking about my work rig. I use it to move portable buildings.

The rundown...2004 Chevy 1 ton with a duramax diesel. It is a cab and chassis pickup, so it has a narrower rear end than a full bodied dually pickup, it has the same track width in the rear as a regular single wheel pickup. It is an extended wheelbase with a 12' flatbed. Load3d to work and full of diesel it weighs in between 9000 and 9500.

I am wondering what could be done to help the truck when it is empty, which is over half its miles. Loaded is another story. I am thinking that skirts under the bed would be relatively easy to build. I have plenty of metal sheeting to use, it is ribbed panel used to build buildings, but i think it would work. Both sides of the truck have toolboxes, so my thought is to come back straight off the boxes. I don't know though if it would be a total waste.
Here are a couple pics loaded with my trailer...

A whole other ball of wax would be finding a way to improve aero with a building loaded up.

So, hopeless case?

Rob