View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 01:48 AM   #109 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
An update for Sep 11, 2015

Day ... 469! ... of the Mazda MX-6 conversion (sigh!)

The wooden supports for the batteries were removed. I've been working on an aluminum base for the battery box for several months now, a few minutes at a time. It is going to be very strong.

The first layer of 4 inch square tube is done. It is bolted to the car floor and the rear axle supports. The second layer is almost done. The batteries will lay on top of the second layer. The vertical supports (that will keep the batteries from sliding around) have me scratching my head - how to bolt them in (to both layers) after everything else is bolted together and into the car. I have issues fitting wrenches into the space.

Lastly is the cover, which will keep the batteries from moving in case of a roll-over.

There is no big rush. I missed summer driving season again. The batteries need heating to function in winter. And my netgain industrial controller is still dead. No progress there. I may use a P&S Cougar controller temporarily (after I am done bench testing). I need to test whether the car is driveable with 500A for acceleration, 125A for continuous output. And whether I can cool the controller to maintain 125A continuous output.

I'll post a few photos in the next couple of weeks.

Here is a video for first spin of a different DC motor with the Cougar controller. https://youtu.be/aex9fFwmFis

Last edited by thingstodo; 09-12-2015 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: Add video link
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (09-12-2015)