View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
iamnotahippee
Carbon Abuser

Olaf - '03 Honda Civic Hybrid

Sven - '06 Volvo Xc90 2.5t

Work Truck - '04 Chevy Silverado 3500
Something to consider on engine off braking...look at the salvage yard for '02-06ish Chevy/GMC full size products. Alot of the half tons with vacuum brakes used an auxiliary vacuum pump mounted at the brake booster. I never have figured out exactly why they were needed, but it is just an electric vacuum pump. You could use that to maintain full power assisted braking with the engine off. You could wire it up to either come on any time the brake pedal is depressed, or get fancy and wire it up thru a vacuum switch so it would only power up when there is low vacuum in the reservoir. Another (and probably easier) option is to install an extra vacuum canister on the kin feeding the resevoir. Hot rodgers has been doing this for years with motors that make poor vacuum at idle in order to maintain good brake performance at low speeds.
It really does concern me to think that my wife and children could be sharing the road with people deliberately incorporating habits into their driving that hinder the steering and braking performance of their vehicle.