View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
stillsearching
EcoModding Apprentice

Multi responses...

I know a 7 inch lift by itself is considered problematic to driveline axles (i've generally read 4 is fine, 6 is too much, i'm not an offroader and havent investigated it alot though) but was wondering if the physics was any different if part of the inches are LOWER than stock, I thought the problem was the transfer case side being too high not too low. 4 up 3 down without a loss of travel was my ideal - but if that's not feasible maybe just aim for 4 inches like a more normal lift? (if it is still feasible like to keep it on the table)

Any ideas how I get more travel in the first place? That would seem to be kind of my first barrier, then up to how much i'm willing to raise spring rates and how little on-road travel i'm willing to accept. I've seen the aftermarket A-arms to give longer travel for offroaders, but like it was said - a little expensive. Wondering how the offroaders normally get more travel for solid axles.

As to differentials dragging snow, that's what the big tires are for. Alot of the need for lifts period is fitting bigger tires. Really my 'target offroad competence' would be 4 inches of suspension lift max and possibly 2-3 inches of body lift (possibly because it may be required by a cummins diesel or exotic transmission swap anyway) and then i'd like to take as much of that lift back out again for being on the highway. Or even lower it a bit.

Btw I never even heard of an electronic sway bar disconnect, how does that work? Is there a manual alternative?