View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 11:56 PM   #493 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lortech View Post
IS this a old 1970s design? I had a idea long time ago, of putting a very small engine that can create stored energy during cruise and then use the engine and stored energy for acceleration. What affect would having the small diesel be if it was hooked to a powerful generator and power electric motors for the wheels?
This has not been attempted as of yet with the Centurion so I nominate you to be the first to test it out

It would be interesting to create a series hybrid out of the Centurion as it is configured perfectly for this type of design. I bet it would work really great in urban driving but not as well on the highways. The only way I see a series hybrid being able to compete on the open road with how CJ has Centurion #3 currently configured is if you were able to have an extremely efficient 10kw generator on board and a 120V to 144V AC system set up via direct drive no transmission. You would want around a 4:1 ratio which the Triumph Spit cars have rear differentials that will fit the bill. The trick would be to keep the amps low enough so that the generator could produce all the power needed for steady state driving. This way as long as you have diesel fuel in the tank you can go.

This is easier said than done as you would need an awesome generator set up. This is possible to do it just takes some money and brain power thinking a bit out of the box.

This is essentially what I am going to do with my 3 wheel project whenever I get the time to get it done lol