View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 12:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
ISV-2K8Rondo
EcoModding Lurker

Telescope Transporter - '17 Kia Forte 5
Hypermiling a 2008 Kia Rondo--Quest for 30 mpg

I own a 2008 Kia Rondo LX. Most of the time my mileage in mixed driving has been 22-23 mpg (more or less EPA combined estimate) in the summer and 19-20 mpg in the winter.

Then I came across this site, lurked a little, then applied some "adjustment to the nut behind the wheel". Namely coasting to lights, keeping the speed down on the freeway, and DWL on hills. I was stunned to see 26.3 mpg, a result I usually only got on long trips. Then 26.9 mpg when I bumped the tire pressure from 35 to 40 psi. Then 27.4 mpg by using less A/C.

As a recent divorcee (note to those who've never experienced this--DON'T!!!!), single income = every cent counts. Needless to say, I'm happy I'm beating the EPA estimates by a healthy 20%+. A penny saved is NOT the same as a penny earned--it's worth MORE. You don't pay taxes on the former. Adding 4-5 mpg is like a pay raise when you're putting an average of nearly 40 miles/day on your car.

It'd be cool to see that first number on the mileage be a 3 instead of a 2. The magic 30. I've only seen about 28.5 mpg, and that was on the highway. But where to go from here? I'm thinking of getting the Scan Guage at some point.

I like the way this train's going, but I don't want it to stop, so it was time to do my first eco-mod. I fully confess. I whacked the roof rack on my 2008 Kia Rondo LX. More specifically, the cross beams on the roof rack. No remorse. No guilt to assuage later on. Dealt a fatal blow with Tony Soprano-like coldness. And truth is, it had it coming. (well, actually, just set aside in the garage. Okay; I'm milked the metaphor too much)

Roof racks--even empty ones--will increase drag. That certainly didn't help it's case, but in addition, it is a royal pain sweeping snow off the roof with those blasted cross beams!! And here in NE Ohio, we have two seasons--construction, and winter.

I don't know what to expect in terms of increased fuel economy from whacking the rack. I read the Edmunds article where a 2008 Buick Enclave had a 1% fuel economy increase with the roof rack removed...but that's a LARGE vehicle, about 50% heavier than my Rondo. I saw the Consumer Reports article on the 2013 Honda Accord which had a 14% boost @ 65 mph with no roof rack vs. empty roof rack.

So my goal with this car is simple--30 miles/gal (U.S.), or 7.8 L/100 km. I'm keeping the tires around 40 psi (max sidewall 44 psi), minimizing A/C, and removed the rack cross beams. I've already heard suggestions of grille blocks; considering that for the upcoming winter.

Further suggestions would be greatly appreciated, particularly priority lists for this kind of car.

Thanks in advance,
Phil

Last edited by ISV-2K8Rondo; 09-18-2015 at 01:01 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ISV-2K8Rondo For This Useful Post:
JRMichler (09-18-2015)